Highway Facility FAQ

What is the Medina County Highway Department responsible for?

Medina County Highway Department operates under the direction of the County Engineer. This department is responsible for maintenance of the County Highway system. Certainly that includes the roads and bridges we drive on but the highway system also consists of many other areas. Those areas include right-of-way drainage, ditches and culverts, vegetation control, roadside berm areas, guardrail, traffic signs and signals, pavement markings, and snow and ice removal.

How much snow falls in Medina County?

Snowfalls vary greatly from the north to the south end of Medina County. In the winter of 2004-05, snowfall amounts ranged from over 100 inches at the very north end of the County to 70 inches at the south end. One hundred inches represented near or greater than record amounts. Two heavy snow storms occurred in April of 2005, including a late season storm on the 24th and 25th. Although no accumulations were noted, snow actually fell on May 3, 2005.

The winter of 2002-03 also saw near record totals, with monthly snowfall records set in December 2002 and January 2003, while the winter of 2001-02 saw vastly lower snowfall total ranges of 50-35 inches.

The areas north of State Route 18 seem to get more snow than areas south of State Route 18. However, snowfall rates and amounts are not the only things to consider when it comes to the highway system. Some areas in the County may not typically get as many inches of snow over the course of a winter, but those areas are generally flatter, more wide open and very susceptible to the winter winds. The wind tends to keep moving snow that has already fallen, back onto the roads which is another issue worked on by the Highway Department.

What type of work causes a road to be closed? How long will it be closed?

Work that requires an open excavation or "cut" in the road will usually need to be performed with the road closed. Culvert and bridge replacement projects usually warrant a road closing. Many culvert replacements can be re-opened to traffic within 1-3 days, but could take as long as a month to construct depending on the size and depth of the culvert and the overall scope of the project. Most small bridge replacements require at least 6 weeks to construct, with larger bridges taking up to six months before the road is reopened to traffic. All projects involving road closures maintain access to individual property owners.

Frequent calls that do not involve the Highway Department and who to contact.

We often receive calls regarding roads not within our system. Concerns regarding the interstates and state routes should be directed to Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) located on State Route 18 about 0.25miles west of Interstate 71. ODOT may be contacted at (330) 723-0091.

Calls that concern a township road may be directed to your local township trustee. If you do not know who that is or how to contact a trustee, we can provide the name(s) and phone number(s) for your township trustee(s).

We receive additional calls that concern the County Highway system but are handled by other departments within our organization. Some of these calls and contact number are provided below:

Calls concerning right-of-way, storm water, heavy load moves, drive culvert installations and replacements and land use permits may be directed to Vickey Zalewski in the County Highway Permit Department. Vickey maybe be reached at (330) 723-9568.

Calls regarding drainage within a sub-division may be directed to Dan Willhoite, Engineer at (330) 723-9573 or to Andy Conrad, County Engineer at (330) 723-9559.

Why are you cutting down trees or removing tree limbs along my property?

Reasons for removing trees or limbs vary greatly. Sometimes, trees or limbs need to be removed so drivers have a better field of vision to aid in making driving decisions, or to create a better "sight distance." These removals due to sight distance concerns are normally at intersections, curves, hills or other difficult areas.

Other times, removal may need to occur to "open up" the right-of-way, allowing sunlight to enter which can help to alleviate pavement deterioration caused by perpetual damp areas beneath the pavement. Sunlight also helps with snow and ice removal efforts. By allowing sunlight to more easily penetrate to a section of road, snow and ice will melt off faster.

I was able to see just fine at my intersection. Why did you still remove the tree in front of my property?

There is a large range of vehicle types and sizes. Some are able to pull right up to an intersection to take full advantage of the greatest sight distance available. Other vehicles, such as school buses, construction vehicles, dump trucks, or semis are much larger and may not be able to pull up as far at an intersection, or are not able to accelerate as quickly when pulling out into traffic. These different types of vehicles will have different fields of vision and may be effected by trees or limbs more so than passenger vehicles.

My mailbox was hit by a snow plow during the last snow storm. Will you replace it?

Mailboxes are sometimes struck by snowplows. However, it is usually the snow coming off a plow that actually causes damage to the mailbox, sometimes making the box inaccessible to the postal service. If you believe your mailbox was damaged during snow removal operations, call the Highway Department at (330) 764-8780. A Highway Department representative will take your address information and dispatch someone to visit your property in order to validate your claim. Our current policy regarding mailbox repair/replacement is:

Mailbox Replacement Policy

When a mailbox is damaged during snow removal operations, the Highway Department will:

1) Repair, if possible


2) Replace with a standard mailbox and post,


3) Compensate the owner for damage. Maximum compensation is $35.00 for the cost of the material including a standard box and post. If the owner chooses cash compensation, the owner is responsible for the repair of or installation of, the new mailbox/post.

The repairs and/or replacement of a mailbox/post by the Highway Department may take several days depending on storm conditions and work load.

I want a "Slow, Children at Play" sign.

Slow, Children at Play signs
ODOT Traffic Studies (pdf)

Speed Limit Determination
Speed Limit Fact Sheet (pdf)

Please call (330) 764-8780 with any questions.